Tagged: home made clothes

Dressmaking Part III

Several weeks into my dressmaking now, which I’ve just just been working on in the evening.  The pattern is a little bit confusing, mostly because I don’t know what I’m doing, but also because the pattern is quite old – and obviously for a generation more used to making their own clothes!

So where am I up to?  This week I have been working on the sleeves:

Facing on the edges so that that sleeves are stiff

DSCN3818

Next I began to sew the skirt panels together:

Matching darts need to be sewn together, these will be different according to each panel that you are sewing.

DSCN3830

So here is what it looks like now:

Just pinned on a sleeve to see how it will look.

Assembling bits!

The next step will be to make some adjustments to the size as it is too big for me, and this needs to be done before I can sew in the zip and sew the top and bottom together.  This is taking quite a long time, but I guess it’s not like I’m working on it for hours everyday – not looking to bad now though.

Advertisements

Dressmaking Part II

After sewing on the markers the next thing I did was carefully remove the pattern.  If you want to save it or think you might want to pass it on to someone else at some point then try hard not to tear it.  After that I did some tacking – large loose stitches to act as guide when it comes to sewing.  Again, chalk or pencil lines are ok for this as well but tacking is preferable because it helps to hold the material in place.  You could also use pins and remove them as you start to sew, but this can get a bit fiddly.

Tacking in pink thread, next to my instructions!

Tacking is quite good because the material starts to take shape, and you begin to get a vague idea of where you’re heading.  The next thing I did was to cut out and iron on facing (a stiff material which helps to give structure).  I only needed to do this for a few bits which will go around the collar/sleeves.

Facing

And finally I got to do some actually sewing with my new new sewing machine!  I sewed along the lines I had made with the pink thread and was very pleased with the result.  It is starting to look a bit more like an item clothing now which is good.  I carefully removed the pink thread, and this is the point I am up to now:

DSCN3809

DSCN3810

More to follow – I’m excited for the jigsaw to start coming together!